The Rapids Roadhouse, variously know as Black Rapids Roadhouse or Rapids Hunting Lodge, opened at least by 1904 to serve travelers on the new Valdez-Fairbanks Trail.
Roadhouses could be found along all Alaska trails in the first quarter of the 20th century. Along the 386-mile Valdez-Fairbanks Trail, which at the time was Alaska’s principal travel corridor, roadhouses were typically spaced a day’s travel between each other. Of the more than 30 roadhouses that operated along the route between 1902 and 1923, Rapids Roadhouse is one of only a few that survives. The Alaska Road Commission improved the Valdez-Fairbanks trail over the years and renamed it the Richardson Road.